The mission of the Comité de gestion de la taxe scolaire de l’île de Montréal, under the governance of a body politic, is to consolidate technical, administrative, and financial activities of the school boards on the Island of Montreal.
||ommittee made up of political representatives appointed by each school board on the Island of Montréal and two representatives appointed by the ministre de l'Éducation et de l'Enseignement supérieur to|
|G||overn the fair and efficient management of resources, including that of the school|
|T||ax it sets, collects, and redistributes and whose investment income is used in the|
||ervice of the most disadvantaged children in underprivileged areas at the pre-school, primary, or secondary level in general education or vocational training|
|I||n the interests of the school boards on the Island of|
STRUCTURE AND TERRITORY
The Comité de gestion de la taxe scolaire de l’île de Montréal (CGTSIM) is a public organization governed by the Education Act. It offers technical, administrative, and financial support services to the five school boards on the Island of Montréal.
The Comité de gestion is run by elected representatives appointed by the five school boards on the Island of Montréal and two people appointed by the ministre de l'Éducation et de l'Enseignement supérieur.
The Comité de gestion:
- imposes and collects the school tax in the territory of the school boards on the Island of Montréal;
- fairly distributes the income earned from investing the school tax collected among the school boards on the Island of Montréal for educational catch-up measures in underprivileged areas;
- takes out loans and meets the cash flow needs of the school boards on the Island of Montréal;
- stimulates dialogue on various issues;
- helps reduce operating costs by offering pooled services to the school boards such as legal services, the Risk Management Plan, and the Cooperative Purchasing System;
- produces and publishes research reports and statistical documents on subjects of interest for school boards on the Island of Montréal.
The Comité de gestion succeeded the Conseil scolaire de l’île de Montréal in February 2003. It has served the school boards on the Island of Montréal for more than thirty years.
The Comité de gestion covers the territory of the five school boards on the Island of Montréal:
- Poînte-de-l'Île School Board
- Montréal School Board
- English-Montréal School Board
- Lester-B.-Pearson School Board
- Marguerite-Bourgeoy School Board
For French-speaking students, this territory covers the entire Island of Montréal, plus a few nearby islands, including île des Soeurs, île Bizard, and île Dorval. For English-speaking students, the territory is the same, plus, to the west, part of the area known as the Harwood sector, up to the Ontario border.